Tuesday, May 20, 2008

LOTTERY, GLOVE WORK AND GAMBLING!

On the Tuesday show we compared notes in trying to come up with the best defensive players we'd seen during our years watching major league baseball. All was going well until I got an e-mail putting A-Rod as the top glove man at both SS & 3B. I'm thinking a 30 day ban on e-mails or even leaving the house is warranted. Alex was a fine shortstop and has done an admiral job at the hot corner since ruining my Yankees. To mention him in the same breath as Mike Schmidt, Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel is baseball blasphemy, period!
Soon they'll mix up those ping pong balls and decide the draft positions for the NBA's late June event. I don't see a player who will cause a meteoric rise from the garbage teams like the Heat. I do think a stud point guard like Derrick Rose of Memphis or K-State's Michael Beasley might put a team with some proper pieces in place over the top. Imagine if the Blazers won the lottery or caught the #2 and were able to add a healthy Greg Oden and Rose to that mix? There would be talk of making a deep post season run. How about Golden State. They have enough small ball talent to have upset the top seeded Mavs last spring and were the last team out this year. Think Mike Beasley would push them up the charts??
On tomorrow's show we'll talk sports gambling. I laugh my head off when people bury their head in the sand over this issue. "JUST SAY NO" right? That's worked so well keeping kids off drugs and from having sex! Can't wait to see what you all come up with here!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Steve,

I listened today and heard nothing about sports gambling. I may have missed it though.

I see nothing wrong with sports betting as long as the bettor is not involved in anyway with the game, series, quarter or whatever. I'm not only thinking of that idiot Pete Rose, but also any coaches, referees, etc.

As for baseball......well, lets say baseball to me is like NASCAR to you. Sorry. But I hope you take occasion to talk NASCAR from time to time.