Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A GREAT, GREAT MONDAY by Steve Tannen

Wow! What a start to the week. Just as you catch your breath from the college & NFL action over the weekend, it's time for 3 tremendous events on a Monday. It begins with the improbable run to the American League Championship Series by the Rays. Very ironic that I've been to Florida about 100 times since I was 12(1972), yet never travelled to the western part of the Sunshine State until this April. Got to spend some time reading and listening about this upstart team. Some guys in the media I spoke with were ultra sincere in their belief this was not going to be the typical doormat this franchise was known for. Upon arriving at The Score in late April I passed along what I'd learned about their young, talented front 5, solid defense and this young buck, 3rd baseman Evan Longoria. It's been a joy to watch, even at the expense of my beloved Yankees. My wife & I even got to see Yankees/Rays at the Trop in St. Pete. I don't have to tell you who I'm rooting for in this series with the Red Sox.
I'm a huge admirer of both managers from the ALDS between California & Boston, but think each guy bricked huge last night. Sox skipper Terry Francona elected to allow Justin Masterson to pitch to Torri Hunter with Mark Texiera and Vlade Guerrero on base in that 8th inning with a 2-zip lead. Masterson had walked both guys after getting ahead 0-2 then uncorked a wild pitch to put the duet in scoring position. If his closer Jonathan Papelbon was available as he'd said pre-game, what's the major difference between a 4 out or 3 out save? Rare bad move by a heck of a manager. Then Mike Scocia, perhaps the finest manager in baseball decides to take a shot at a squeeze play with the game tied at 2 in the 9th. That's a gutty call in mid-July, not so much with the season on the line. Erick Aybar was up with Reggie Willits on 3rd with one out. It wasn't even close and Bosox catcher Jason Varitek tagged out Willits before Aybar grounded weakly to first to end the threat. With a guy on third and a young pitcher in Manny Delcarmen on, why take that risk? You eliminate the chance of an error, wild pitch, passed ball or base knock to get that run in. Surprisingly brutal by Scocia.
In the Vikings thrilling 30-27 win over the Saints in MNF you had a special teams coach check his brain at the gate. Reggie Bush had already returned a punt for a touchdown, and by a shoelace(thanks Idol) almost had another. So with the game tied early in the 4th quarter, Minny special teams co-ordinator Paul Ferraro decides it's okay to punt at Bush again. The result was a 64-yard TD. What a chucklehead. Of course he got bailed out with the win, but how he has a job this morning is a stunner.
Ton to get to on the big show today. Look forward to your input.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I don’t get to listen to your show everyday like I want. I like your show when I can catch it on the air.
First things first-Ducks football. I am against all the money that goes into the program and I am sure it isn’t as much as other schools who have a fund of $50 million for football. To me it is supposed to be an extracurricular activity. These people around here think a ducks game is their last breath. It is sad. I like the Ducks and they keep the people in Lame County entertained for a while. I am not sure how much you hear in town but a lot of people I talk to are dropping their season tickets and parking passes etc. Why? Because the U of O has priced everyone out of the game.
I was wondering what you think of Belotti’s coaching. My buddies and I believe he is done. He needs to step aside. His drafting of players sucks. He can’t do anything but run the ball. The players are all down. He isn’t showing any signs of confidence in that yahoo quarterback crew he has on the sideline. There is no razzle dazzle like there used to be in the game. Umm it is 2nd and 26 we are behind by 21 points. I know let’s run it up the middle that works. Cool we got a yard. I saw the same thing against Boise State. Half way through the first quarter I was yelling throw the ball.
I like the game of football and by no means can you compare it to the NFL. I met you a couple of years ago at Quacker’s and I am a Dolphins fan. I don’t know if you saw the Miami – New England game or not. That was creative razzle dazzle. The Duck coaches ought to be putting something out there when the odds are against you.
It is all about the six P’s- piss poor planning permits poor performance. I am disgusted with Belotti’s coaching and think he needs to go. I feel sorry for the player’s- they actually think they are a good team. I will give them at the most two more wins. I hear people say Boise St. should be in the Pac 10. Soon they will be saying put Oregon in the WAC. I am done with green and yellow.
Keep up the good work!
Shannon