Monday, October 20, 2008

I HATE BECAUSE I CARE by Steve T

Isn't it amazing how aggravated and frustrated we get over silly things like a game we're watching on TV. I've been a real Duck fan for about 15 years. The first few years(I arrived in 1990) were about learning the subtle differences between rooting for a college and pro outfit. I tend to get a bit more nasty towards the guy making 2.5 mil a year who fails to execute the fundamentals. Considering I've been to a few hundred Yankee games, at least 100 Oregon football games, hundreds of Knicks games, no one owns a bigger piece of my sports ulcer than the New York Jets. The loss to the hapless Raiders yesterday moved high up the list of contests that forced me to be creative in combining explatives. For today's show and this blog, please list some of the most anguish filled games you've witnessed and specify if it's either in person or on the tube. Certainly the loss at Autzen to Stanford in 2001 that cost the Ducks their 23 game home win streak and eventually a shot at Miami and the National Title is on many of our lists. Think about it and tune in at 3.
Hail the Tampa Bay Rays. And not just because I have a sizeable bet at generous odds for them to win all the marbles. Okay, that's a huge reason. The key is baseball. This team excells at baseball. They're a 5 tool threat. I really like this Phillies team because they're pretty solid in all aspects, but it just seems that the team who can win a tough division like the AL East then take out the champs and plays in the superiour league can handle anything. We'll see and I can't wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Certainly the loss at Autzen to Stanford in 2001 that cost the Ducks their 23 game home win streak"

-That was the exact one that came to mind even before I read that sentance...although - last year's UCLA game was also a frusterating crapfest.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have seen this clip Steve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

"God bless those kids. I'm sick - I wan't to throw up..."

He said it.

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I just called and mentioned the 2005 AFC championship game in which the Patriots clearly cheated and beat the Steelers.

But because the Blazers have been such a disaster until the last year, I forgot or blocked out game seven of the 2000 Western Conference Finals between Portland and LA.

A 17 point portland lead in the fourth quarter disappeared faster than you can say choke job. The loss led to a crap summer and sent the Blazers into a decade long funk.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

There sure has been a lot of woulda, coulda, shoulda for fans in recent years.

1995 Rose Bowl (4 missed FGs + carter's run)
1998 Oregon @ UCLA (one of the greatest games I ever saw in my life)
1998 Civil War
1999 USC @ Oregon basketball
2001 Stanford @ Oregon
2003 Sun Bowl
2004 Indiana @ Oregon
2004 Oregon @ Cal

...and many many more.