Monday, July 6, 2009

NOT ALL IS DEBATABLE by Tannen

Hearing a ton of talk today comparing the 15 major singles titles in tennis versus the 14 majors in golf. Tiger vs. Roger Federer. Are people really this stupid? We've gone down this road before. Woods faces 100 guys who have a shot to beat him week in and week out. Lucas Glover won the most recent Grand Slam event, the US Open as the 71st ranked player on earth. Over the last 5 years Federer has reached at least the Final 4 of every major tournament he's entered. He has no competition until he faces Rafael Nadal in Paris or London. Credit Andy Roddick for a tremendous performance in pushing Roger in Sunday's Wimbledon Final. He's the #6 ranked player in the world. It's a moronic debate. Take nothing away from Federer because he's a class act and a special talent, but there are maybe 3 or 4 guys out there capable of making him break a sweat. Tiger faces 25 times that every week.
Hate to be the cold hearted S.O.B in the room but what the hell is a married man with 4 children closing in on his 40th birthday doing spending time, likely intimate, with a 20 year old? No one deserves to die for treading on shaky moral ground, but I can't help but think if Steve McNair wasn't dipping his wick outside his marriage, he's alive today.
Time to give away some loot. For a $25 gift certificate for Jungs Mongolian Grill(excellent by the way), plus the Phil Steele College Football Preview magazine, e-mail the answer to the following question to stevetannen@live.com
Who did Roger Federer beat to win the 1st of his 15 major tennis titles?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I differ on Tiger Woods vs. Roger Federer. You raise some questions regarding number of people faced by each. However, golf is not contested head to head. I don't care if one million people were entered in a given tournament, that's just another million people with the personality of cardboard or wallpaper, another million people who have NO IMPACT on my game and actual score. Are these people somehow playing defense as I waste my time demanding silence that Benedictine Monks would envy, all in order to hit a staionary object that will remain so until such time as I and ONLY I determine that the ball is now strikable, so long as no spectators commit any heinous and treacherous misdeeds, like making the click of their digital camera (there's a chilling sound) audible during my backswing. After hitting the ball in the kind of silence even funerals are not afforded, exactly zero players in the field can have any impact on what I have just done. SSSHHHH! Such mindless activity must be conducted in silence that the CIA is currently attempting to possess. To the tennis court, we take the debate. While silence is also a high priority among this group, there is an actual opponent to face, one who might pasting over a hundred serves at well over a hundred miles per hour. Some of these missiles will head directly at me and my health, others will spin maddeningly away from while hurtling through the atmosphere. Should I manag e to swat the ball back successfully, I will usually be faced with another searing shot emanating from across the net. To sum up, what happens to the object ball in tennis is beyond my control once I have hit the ball. And the crowd usually makes quiet but audible noises DURING PLAY, once a serve has been played. In golf, what happens to the object ball - struck during silence previously only "unheard" at clandestine gatherins of Freemasons. Free me explanations of concentration. In your beloved, the aural ambience is unabated while I focus on keeping my tender cranium away from impact with rock hard ball cruising toward me. Boo golf. Goodbye golf. Take up solitaire in solitary silence.