Thursday, October 22, 2009

PROBLEM WITH AUTHORITY by ST

Growing up, pretty much through my teens and into my early twenties, I had a bug up my butt about police. I guess I fancied myself kind of a rebel. Loving rock & roll and being a pretty big party guy. Then it dawned on me I was an idiot. Tough to by into all that crap when you realize you live in your parents house and your only contact with any kind of rebellion was listening to David Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" from the Diamond Dogs album. So I took those feelings and turned them towards umpires, referees and officials. I now offer up mostly respect for our men in blue because aside from the few bad apples you come across in any walk of life, they do serve & protect. The umpiring in baseball's playoffs has been nothing short of atrocious. In game 4 of the ALCS on Tuesday night, the usually reliable Tim McClelland wasn't even close in missing some calls. The sport, the umps, the Yankees & Angels dodged a bullet as the idiocy had no impact on the game.
The Southeast Conference has announced a formal suspension for the keystone crew who mismanaged the Florida win over upset minded Arkansas last Saturday. A phantom personal foul aided a 4th quarter drive by the Gators. These same knuckleheads blew it with a similar late call during LSU/Georgia earlier in the month. Some feel this should not have been made public. Not me! I think it's great. These guys have to be held accountable. No one expects perfection, but these seemingly made up whistles have to stop. If an infraction occurs, drop the flag. When decisions must be made, make a call, but stop inventing situations. Great call by SEC commissioner Mike Slive. Your thoughts on the proper steps to take or perhaps replay in baseball's post season?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand that refs can't always get it right. However, these egregious calls, when the game, not to mention the NC chase, is in balance, are not acceptable. There should be repercussions for not performing at an adequate level on the JOB. I imagine were you to drop the F-bomb on your show then drop it again two weeks later you'd be reprimanded. That's how it works in the real world, except in my case where mediocrity is the loftiest of goals.

reggie63 said...

I think to get rid of the umps who sit on the outfield foul lines completely and go to reply for any questionable calls down the line. There are way too many umps on the field in the post season. In college ball it is pitiful how these calls can cost a team a game, then five days later someone says ooops! Suspensions for repeat offenders would be good, but there should be a replay official with authority to reverse obvious mistake calls before a team like florida can escape with a suspect win. Kent