Friday, January 8, 2010

FEEL FOR THE GUY by Tannen

I was ticked off to beat the band when Colt McCoy went down injured very early in last night's BCS title game. Sure I bet Texas and had some cash on the line. But beyond the action, I'm all about hoping for the legendary performance or finish, especially in a game of this magnitude. As things rolled into the 2nd half and we learned Colt was done & his college career was over, I couldn't help but be heartbroken for this young guy. Remember, he was on the sideline with Texas 4 years earlier as a redshirt freshman watching Vince Young work his magic in leading UT to that unreal victory over USC. This was his time to shine. The reason he chose the University of Texas. That is the main thing I'll always remember about Alabama's victory in this one. I also don't want to take anything away from the Crimson Tide. No taint on this title. They ran through the best conference in football unbeaten and beat a very good Virginia Tech out of conference. No player had run for 100 yards in any game on Texas all season. Bama had two guys bust the 100 yard barrier. I think both coaches made bonehead decisions from Nick Saban's fake punt on their 1st possession to the shovel pass UT tried as time was winding down in the 1st half.
Really pumped for the NFL playoffs. It begins with my J.E.T.S tomorrow afternoon at Cincy. This way if they win, I'm locked into the Elite 8. They lose, I can shelve it and just enjoy the rest of the weekend. It's a dead even game as neither team is strong offensively, but both can run it and "D" up.
The weekend wraps with the Civil War at Mac Court Sunday night at 7:30. Oregon State is coming off arguably the worst performance in program history getting waxed by Seattle on Tuesday by 51 points. Seattle is now an independent as they've just moved to the Division 1 level. The Beavs were viewed as possibly a first division Pac 10 team in a season when the conference is down. They'll be borderline desperate so the Ducks best be ready.
Word just hit the wire that the Seahawks have fired head coach Jim Mora Jr. It appears Pete Carroll of USC has emerged as the 1st big name they will pursue. I know there are 9 sets of fans in our league on board with that move. I'm also betting there are 31 sets of NFL fans(the rest), on board because I don't believe Pete is an NFL guy. We've been down this road before and he was not close to winning big with the Patriots or Jets. And don't forget, in 1997 he took over a Patriots team from Bill Parcells who had just been to the Super Bowl. They got progressively worse each season from 10 wins his 1st, to 9 to 8. I see him as a Dennis Erickson. Heck of a college coach. Mediocre as a pro coach. We shall see.

No comments: