Friday, June 6, 2008

WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND

I was thinking about the reasons I was looking forward to this weekend like The Belmont, Game 2 of the NBA Finals, playing golf on Sunday, or just screwing around. Then I realized I do this stuff on Monday through Friday as well. I've decided to build my own Tannen calendar that does not clearly define days, just various 24 hour blocks of time. I'm playing in a scramble at Diamond Woods on Sunday. The history of man has given us many amazing inventions to make life easier, safer and happier. The 4 man scramble is right up there with the heart/lung machine. If you've ever had a miserable, aggravating round of golf, you know exactly what I mean. You're a nightmare off the tee, in the woods, in the sand, in the water, under trees and bushes, the medal score is piling up and the tab for buying drinks after the round as a loser is looming. With a scramble you can hit 3 crappy shots in a row, roll in the 16 footer for birdie on the par 5 and be a hero! It's a beautiful thing.
The more I learn about the co-owner of Big Brown, Michael Iavarone, the less I like this guy. Some shady dealings last decade that cost people some cash in the stock market. When asked if he had any kind of checkered past he said no, but when it came to light his firm was prosecuted for this kind of activity he played a familiar card. Said he wasn't prosecuted personally, never admitted guilt and only faced censure and a fine. That's like Bonds saying he never 'knowingly' took steroids. The New York paper Newsday also revealed federal and county tax liens totalling about three-quarters of a million dollars. What a knucklehead! I guess for the sake of the sport it would be nice to have a Triple-Crown champ, but a part of me likes the fact my all time favorite horse, Affirmed, was the last to accomplish the feat. Enjoy the weekend. Go Lakers!

1 comment:

ducknutz1 said...

whoever invented 4 man scrambles should be up for immediate sainthood... the birdie bottles (plural) are chilling as we speak... bring your A game big guy... we are in it to win it !!!! ducknutz