Monday, September 22, 2008

TAKING SOLACE by Steve Tannen

Gotta admit to having reached the point in my life(nearly 48) where I set records for putting tough losses by my team behind me. Then I take a look back & get a better evaluation. I think people who carry defeats as if they played a role or live vicariously through sports teams are putzes or Raider fans. I don't see the Boise State game as this disaster and shocking outcome. Don't forget their QB, Kellen Moore is their highly touted recruit from Prosser, Washington has been THE GUY through spring, all of summer camp and obviously, right now. They have a great stable of experienced, quality pass catchers and a dynamite back in Ian Johnson. Oregon, in essence went with their 4th & 5th stringers at quarterback. Tell me that didn't give the Broncos an edge. I'll also cop to the BSU offensive braintrust concocting a brilliant game plan executed to perfection by their outstanding redshirt QB. No question they outfoxed the UO defense and defensive coaches. It happens.
I'd like to thank the good people at Michigan State, Arizona & the Miami Dolphins for putting a smile on my face by defeating teams I detest or in the case of AZ, a person I think is garbage(take that Weasel).
Some have been surprised I was glued to my TV for the Yankee Stadium finale. I blew off all the pre-game and most of the game until it got late. Wanted to see manager Joe Girardi pull Jeter late and let the NY fans shower him with their respect and appreciation. The end and some of the aftermath was cool. Tonight I'll share some of my favorite moments & memories of the big ballyard in the South Bronx. Would love to hear your angle as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: the Masoli hit.

If Powersdid that in the pros, he'd be ejected and get a MASSIVE fine and multi-game suspension.

If Powers did that in high school he'd be kick off the team and maosli's parents would be coming after him.

But in college, Powers immediately becomes the game's MVP for completely destroying the opponents' entire gameplan 5 minutes in.

Please let karma exist...