Friday, September 26, 2008

What a night!

I'm accepting thanks from Beav fans who know the special "Tannen" touch. I mentioned how I could not see OSU keeping the game against USC close & that I dropped the remaining cash($36) from my online account on the Boys from Troy and laid the 26 points. At least it wasn't one of those aggravating, down to the last second, gambling defeats. I was toast by halftime. It's amazing how I can sing the praises of Mike Riley, his staff and that program, yet fall prey to this invincibility aura that surrounded this Southern Cal team. One factor I failed to consider was how the Trojans would react if Oregon State took their power punch then countered with an even more severe blow. Those guys just ran it down their throats and the defense put enough heat on Mark Sanchez to keep him from truly finding a comfort zone & groove. Seriously, how did this team lose to Stanford. I guess the SC guys were wondering the same thing last October!
I really gave my remote trigger finger a workout last night. While I had the OSU upset on, I was switching between a trio of terrific pennant fever games as the Mets snuck by the Cubs, the Brewers got a walk off grand slam to stay tied with New York for the wild card and the Twins finished off a sweep of the White Sox in 10 innings to take the AL Central lead. We head into the weekend with the Phillies just a game ahead of the Mets in the NL East plus the aforementioned items. This time of the year is a beautiful thing.
As far as the Oregon football players involved in that bad accident following a street racing incident, well it's really disappointing. I'm hesitant to use harsh words like "idiot" or "jerk" when dealing with a college aged young man, but Eddie Pleasant is an "idiot" and a "jerk" for putting the lives of his teammates and innocent folks on the roadways at risk. Sorry, but from my chair he's done for at least the season. This isn't cracking a cold one at a frat party, this is life and death. He could have killed a young mom and her baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As Mike Parker, the voice of OSU athletics, would say, "Go Beavs!"