Wednesday, December 10, 2008

No dirt?


photo by Brian Davies/The Register-Guard


This story by Ron Bellamy at The Guard discusses the new baseball stadium at the UO, PK Park. Now I know we're in the northwest and it will rain 75 percent of the time, but TURF INSTEAD OF DIRT!? WHAT!? One of the fondest, if not painful, memories of playing baseball in high school was going home dirty and sore after sliding and diving in the mud and dirt. It's what makes northwest baseball unique. I'm not saying that officials should ignore the elephant in the room; and I'm sure it will save the university money in stadium upkeep; and I know that OSU has turf and it works fine for it; but c'mon, it's baseball. Did I just kill my argument? Stupid brain! They do have the option to put clay in place of the orange turf, which as an Oregon fan seems like a no-brainer, but it sounds like the turf is gonna be there most of the time. And to that, I say: lame!
-Alex

No comments: