Thursday, March 5, 2009

I HATE THINKING by Tannen

On yesterday's show I mentioned the story about the brass from the Mountain West Conference making a proposal at next month's meeting of the Bowl Championship Series clowns. They want an 8 team playoff to determine our national title winner in football. The four major bowls would in essence become quarter final games meaning an extra 3 playoff games, the grid iron version of the Final 4 and the one for all the marbles. A couple of callers sent me into a tailspin by pointing out the logistical and financial issues this would cause. How could fans of a team who ended up winning the whole thing pay for and show up for 3 post season games? Say Oregon was involved. What about the issues that would surface trying to get 12-15 thousand fans from our state to the semi final site on a week or 10 days notice? How many fans not named Kilkenny or Knight can logically afford multiple adventures? I hope you're all happy because now our brilliant plan to finally settle this thing on the field has had a major monkey wrench thrown into the works. On today's show I will put it to you all to help me remedy this horrifying turn of events. Perhaps allowing the Final Four to take place all at one venue would help. It's not even 10am, I haven't had breakfast or coffee and remain unable to solve this equation.
Here's hoping the Oregon men make a good showing with a win tonight at Troy and a competitive battle at Pauley against UCLA, then maybe steal on in next week's Pac 10 Tournament. I remain unyielding in my belief it would be unfair and just plain stupid to even consider a coaching change. I sit firmly in the corner of the greatest coach in program history, one Ernie Kent.

No comments: