Tuesday, May 21, 2013

VIEW FROM THE EAST by Steve Tannen

It took me my first football season as a West Coast guy, 1990, to really understand the difference.  For NFL Sundays it meant a quick cup of coffee and off to the sports bar to watch the Jets or Giants.  No more dilly dallying around for a couple of hours before kickoff.  Monday Night Football starts at dinner time instead of 9pm.  I also discovered it left less down time which for me and my then 20-something friends meant less time for "trouble".  Now 23+ years later I'm vacationing with my old buddies & family in Jersey and it's an adjustment.  Got to where I'm staying in West Orange, New Jersey around 5:30 last night and started flipping around for games.  Then it hit me!  Duh.  Nothing begins until 7pm local time.  And if it's a West Coast game, as late as 10:30pm.  When I hooked up with some of my peeps on Friday morning bleary eyed, they inquired as to my condition.  I got some strange looks explaining I'd been up late the night before catching the end of Sharks/Kings and Spurs/Warriors which ended past 1am local time.  I've noticed most who grew up in pro sports cities don't seem to care much when their team is either eliminated or not involved.  Being a nut and doing the type of show we put on, I dive in for it all.  I've found the conversations surrounding this issue interesting.
This past Sunday we headed to Yankees Stadium for Bombers/Jays.  Got rained out.  We learned of this after trekking in from Jersey, then jumping 2 subways from midtown towards the Bronx.  I went to about 8-trillion games when I lived in these parts for nearly 30 years. I recall one rainout.  1986, Mets/Cubs.  In the past 7 years my wife and I have experienced two.  Considering we get to 1 game every 2 years, that's an annoying percentage.  I got 10 tickets for the game.  I hope my dad, sister, brother in law and their pals enjoy a game sometime later this year.  I'm not speaking to Mother Nature!

No comments: