Friday, February 27, 2009

AND THE ANSWER IS......by Tannen

The other day I heard some show hosts talking about the best sports movies ever in the wake of the Oscars. Then I heard a take we can work with. Best performance by an actor in a sports themed movie. It's a no brainer, but we need a trio of statues for the guys who portrayed The Hanson Brothers in the 1977 classic, "Slapshot". Name one scene they were in where you don't still fall off the couch laughing! Actually the actors represented the Carlson Brothers, Jeff, Jack & Steve. The reason Jack couldn't appear in the movie was he got called up for the WHA playoffs by the Edmonton Oilers. In his place we got Dave Hanson. Do the math. The Carlson's hail from Virginia, Minnesota while Hanson was born & raised in Cumberland, Wisconsin. It's why they have that brilliant Fargo-like accent.
Other top flight performances include Rodney & Ted Knight as foes Al Czervik and Judge Smails in Caddyshack. I also enjoyed Bob Uecker as play-by-play man Harry Doyle in the Major League movies. I think you get the point. We'll have much more on this when we gather for SportsTalk today.
I don't have much more. It's getting close to 11:30, I haven't had breakfast or put down one note of an idea for the show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Major League, neck-and-neck with Caddyshack with most quotable sports movie ever. Eucker was hysterical in Major League, but it's all about Dennis Haysbert as Pedro Cerrano (aka the Allstate insurance guy and the prez from '24').


"Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come, he will come."

"Hats for bats...keep bats warm...Gracias."

"Ahh, Jesus. I like him very much, but he no help with curveball."

Unknown said...

What about OJ Simpson in The Towering Inferno??? That was awesome!