Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I DO LIKE MONDAY'S by ST

I'd like to take exception with The Boomtown Rats 1979 classic "I Don't Like Monday's". Pretty good Monday to start February 2010. Kobe Bryant breaks the all time scoring record for one of the two great NBA franchises, albeit in defeat. From the NHL, it's best player, Sid Crosby records a hat trick as the champion Penquins roll. Lot of Super Bowl talk as the arrival of Sunday sneaks closer. But first, to address yesterday's comments. Lot of people ask me about programming on this station. I have no say beyond what you hear on SportsTalk. As for Jack's comment we run the last hour of Colin Cowherd at 3pm, here is an open invite to sit in this chair and see how easy it is pal! I'm certainly a fan of Colin, Patrick and some of the national guys, but their job is cake. Huge staffs, countrywide audience. Believe me, I could sit in their chair tomorrow without missing a beat. Bet you many would struggle in a market this size, having to do their own prep work, schedule their own interviews, and be radar locked onto the entire sports scene beyond the minimal amount of topics they cover each day. Remember, they open the phones lines on one topic, callers have their say and evaporate. Let's see them be informed enough to take random calls about any subject like I do and engage in an actual conversation. Have a freaking clue!
I have one last gift certificate to Poppi's Anatolia downtown. Simple drawing. Right now in the NBA give me your starting five to take on the aliens for the survival of the free world. And I need specifics. Point & shooting guard, power & small forward and a center. Will let you be flexible up front using a guy like Duncan or Zach Robinson at either power forward or in the pivot.
Email the responses to stevetannen@live.com

1 comment:

Jack said...

I think you misunderstood my comment about Cowherd's show, Steve. I didn't mean to suggest running only the last hour of his show at three, I meant replay his entire show. Not for me you understand but for a completely different audience in the afternoon. This is not a personal jab at you and I would never argue with how difficult it must be to do what you do on the air every day but I would argue that the shows of Cowherd, Patrick, et al are simply more compelling and entertaining, regardless of how easy you think they have it. And that's not because of their staff (but let's not kid ourselves, they ARE huge), it's because of what got them on the national stage to begin with. Their uniqueness.

All the best,

Jack