Friday, February 12, 2010

LET THE GAMES BEGIN by ST

Okay, I get it. Most normal football fans are in a kind of sports hibernation. I haven't been this pumped since the NFL playoffs BEGAN. Love the Winter Games. Seriously, this hockey tournament is going to be the best thing to happen since Brooklyn Decker put on a really small bikini! If it comes down to goaltending, hard to believe Team Canada doesn't have a slight edge with future Hall of Famer Marty Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils. Throw in reigning Stanley Cup champ Mark Andre Fleury of the Pittsburg Penguins & Vancouver's Roberto Luongo. Lot of pressure on the Canadians to win gold on their home ice. Team U.S.A will be formidable with a quality netminder in the Buffalo Sabres Ryan Miller and the LA Kings Jonathan Quick. I think the favorites will vie for the big one meaning the Russians are coming and will duel with our neighbors to the north. I also find the skiing and snowboarding tremendously entertaining & yes, it pains me to admit, but I will watch the finals of the women's figure skating. I'm a traditionalist at heart and want to see who will join legends like Peggy Fleming, Katarina Witt and Dorothy Hamill winning that prestigeous event.
This Sunday is the great American Race, the Daytona 500. One of the few times I'll pay attention to NASCAR because it's a major event and I like to see how the hotshots do with their sports biggest prize is at stake. Also, tomorrow we'll throw an eyeball to see how Danica Patrick does in the Nationwide series race. Because this is basically stock car racing's Triple-A, I'd imagine some of these drivers hoping to make the jump to the next level, she's in for a rocky ride. Here's hoping she can handle it and is successful. The thought of a woman sticking to some of those 'good ole boys' makes me smile.
Okay, for a pair of tickets to see the Oregon men next week against either Stanford or Cal(your choice), e-mail the correct answer to the follow to stevetannen@live.com
Who was the last Daytona 500 winner to capture the checkered flag as the race's pole sitter?

No comments: