Monday, February 27, 2012

RECENT PERFECTION INTACT by ST

I can't confirm, but I think the last time I watched the NBA All Star game was 1998. I figured it would be Jordan's final season so I caught a bit. I can't even recall the last time I saw any of the slam dunk contest. Had to be the early 90's. It bores me beyond tears. I watched the final 3 trophies given out at the Academy Awards. My wife and I actually went to see The Descendants yesterday so I was kind of rooting for Clooney to take best actor, or maybe Brad Pitt for Moneyball. Had no interest in the foreign guy in a silent film I'll never see. Always happy to see my pick for the greatest ever, Meryl Streep win the statue. I worship at the altar of Streep.
Really pleased with the Oregon victory at Corvallis. That's a pretty sad state of affairs up there. Their basketball program was once a standard setter in this region. Now it's awful. Not this particular team but the state of Beaver hoops. This will mark 22 seasons since Gary Payton took them to the Big Dance. Of the major programs, only Northwestern has never made the big NCAA Tournament. I believe OSU has now gone the longest aside from the Wildcats in qualifying for the field. Considering how close football came to the Rose Bowl in 2008 & 2009 only to fall on their faces since, it's not a glorious era of Oregon State athletics at the highest level. The basketball team has no one to blame but themselves. This team has been horrible in close, thus winnable games. They're 3 & 7 in games decided by 5 points or less. Blown opportunities. The Ducks are teetering around 50th in the important RPI rankings. If they hold serve at home against Colorado then Utah, it locks up 3rd place in the Pac 12 for the regular season. Gotta believe with the bye in the conference tournament followed by a win pushes their record to 23 & 8 and should be good enough for an at large bid. Get to the finals and you can lock it in. Now let's see if they take care of business.

No comments: