Tuesday, October 25, 2011

REALLY? 25 YEARS? Awesome! By ST

So I'm at a place in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey called the "Wander on Inn". It's Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Place is pretty packed as after all, a New York team is in the series. Boston has the 3 games to 2 edge. Roger Clemens on the hill for the Bosox opposed by the Mets tough lefty Bobby Ojeda. Lot's of people forget that the Rocket left as the pitcher of record on the plus side. Would have had the World Series clinching win. A sac fly by Gary Carter tied it in the home 8th. The 9th was scoreless, ironically Mookie Wilson was called on to bunt with Ray Knight aboard and reached via an error. In the 10th, Dave Henderson led off with a homer off Rick Aguilera and all hopes looked dashed when another run got pushed across on a Marty Barrett single. I think you know what happened in the bottom half. After Barrett's single I left. Cursed a blue streak and insisted I'd never watch those (be creative) celebrate a series win on NY turf. I decided to throw the radio on and after the 1st two Mets made out Gary Carter singled. So did Kevin Mitchell. I pulled over into some kind of warehouse lot to hear the Ray Knight at bat. His knock to center made it a 1 run game. Pitching change. I made it easily back to the bar for history. Confession. I had to check the baseball reference site to verify a fact or two, but yes 25 years later I can nearly recite the magic or tragic in the air, depending on your angle. Still keeps me warm and smiling after all these years!

No comments: